Monday, October 31, 2011

NaNoWriMo - See you in December


Sometimes I get myself into messes that even I can't explain. November will be one of them. 

I signed up for NaNoWriMo, a contest that urges both amateur and professional writers alike to bang out a first draft (at least 50,000 words) of a fiction novel. That's 1,667 words a day. That means I have to write. On. The. Daily. 

It also means I have to write fiction, which I admittedly suck at. I can write ad nauseam about eating mint chocolate chip ice cream for the first time. I once wrote 19 pages on the non-existence of aquifers, peer pressure and grape soda. 2,500 words on green markers? Done. But fiction? I have to just make shit up? Oh hell. It comes out clunky and contrived. And it does not please me. 

But luckily that's kind of the point of NaNoWriMo. It's all about quantity over quality; this exercise forces you to write now and ask questions later. I won't be able to spend hours agonizing over plot threads and character revelations like usual. I'll just have to go with it, no matter how bad it is. 

There is no "prize" for completing your 50,000 word draft, just mad bragging rights, which I plan to exploit for years. And realistically, I will have a rough draft that I can laboriously tinker with, should I try to get it published in part or in whole later.  

My friend Mike (this is his blog) is doing this as well. As you can see from his post (read it after mine, you A.D.D. sons of bitches) he's all about the community that NaNoWriMo offers, he wants to go meet the other people in Tampa who are subjecting themselves to this, and I bet he'll be all over the forums asking for and offering advice. I think he compares NaNoWriMo to boot camp- bonding through a stressful environment- which I think is stupid. This can be done solely online, there is no physical labor, no abuse, no eating and showering and bunking together, no isolation from friends, family, pop culture, etc. 

Now that I've called his point stupid, something I strive to do on the daily, I will say I understand it. It will be stressful, especially for us perfectionist types. But I'm not interested in meeting new people and building creative relationships. I want to sit in my room, writing, ignoring my phone and friends and family. I want to lose track of days, I want insomnia to consume me. I want to forget what the outside world looks like. I want to emerge on November 30th, pale and confused and wild-eyed. I want to mutter "it is finished" before collapsing. 

That's if I don't give up on November 10th.  


See you in December.

By the way, because I am sometimes a spoiled princess, Fiancé bought and built me this desk and chair from IKEA. Because I totally "needed" it for NaNoWriMo. I am in love with it.


And he says if I don't finish 50,000 words by November 30th, he will take the desk and awesome chair away from me. I swear, there is no justice in the world.  

No comments: